Public Health Emergency Preparedness
The City of Joplin Health Department recognizes the importance of public health emergency preparedness activities in the community. The department participates in emergency preparedness planning initiatives in the local, state, and federal levels. Public health emergency preparedness includes planning and epidemiology services. These services are supplemented by a contract from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. Through this contract, the department offers regional planning and epidemiology services to the Joplin and Jasper County area.
The health department also participates with other community partners in several committees that work toward community preparedness for emergencies. Chief among them are the Local Emergency Planning Committee, Medical Subcommittee, which comprise of community stakeholders from Joplin City, Jasper and Newton counties.
Joplin/Jasper County-Emergency Healthcare Coalition (J/JC-EHC)
The purpose of the Joplin/Jasper County Emergency Healthcare Coalition is to facilitate enhanced preparedness for community emergencies that impacts the community health. The coalition is responsible for reviewing and providing recommendations to the larger Joplin / Jasper County LEPC needed changes to the following Annexes:
- Annex M of the Joplin / Jasper County Local Emergency Operations Plan (health and medical)
- Annex N Of the Joplin / Jasper County Local Emergency Operations Plan (WMD)
- Annex O the Animal Disaster and Agriculture Response Plan
- Appendix 7 of Annex M (Local Health Agency Plan)
- Other annexes impacting community health response
- Review of need for any potential Strategic National Stockpile Activation in Jasper County or Joplin
- Review of need for DHSS Surge Capacity Cache activation (located at Freeman Hospital)
- Review of need for the Mass Casualty Trailer activation (located at St. John’s Hospital) if needed out of area
Membership includes community partners in the City of Joplin and Jasper County that have a role in the community health emergency response issues.
Regional Public Health Planning Services
The regional public health planning services include developing local and regional emergency preparedness and response plans in the City of Joplin and Jasper County.